Marlborough Democratic City Committee (MDCC)
2016-04-02 Monthly Meeting
Saturday, April 2, 2016 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM
The Coffee Loft, 406 Lincoln Street, Marlborough, MA 01752
Call to Order
Acknowledgement of Visitors
Rules & Bylaws
Election of Secretary
Reconstitution of Ward 7
Calendar (see Minutes)
Members Present: Kirk Hurley; Chair, Dan Caruso, Donna Scalcione, Barbara Fenby, Barbara P. Allen (Pellegrini), David Doucette, Debbie Doucette; Secretary, Joan Gregoire, Bob Gregoire, Alice Wertheimer, Rosalind Baker, Danielle Gregoire
Guest: Dhruba Sen – promoting “Showing Up for Racial Justice” organization
Acknowledgement of Visitor: Dhruba Sen.
Election of Secretary: Debbie Doucette. 10 Yeas 0 Nays
Old Minutes: read by Danielle Gregoire and accepted 10 Yeas 0 Nays
Treasurer’s Report: No Report
Rules & Bylaws – No Report
Website --- Alice W. stated the website including the Hosting and Domain Name has been renewed for a year. She submitted a voucher of $49 to George LaVenture, our Treasurer.
Kirk spoke with Lee Hettinger, the former Ward 7 chairman and requested him to look into the legality of campaign signs being placed on home owners’ lawns within a condo association. Dan Caruso volunteered to attend his condo association meeting. Kirk pointed out that this is for information gathering only, to see if there are any restrictions we should be aware of.
* Kirk H. spoke to Michelle Botten Hettinger about the idea of recruiting students from the high school to work with our committee as an internship. It would be a great opportunity for teenagers to experience the grass roots of politics. Dan C. is working on a proposal to give to Michelle.
* State Primary is set for Sept 8th with early voting allowed as well as during the General Election. It was approved by all to have a presentation on early voting
Calendar & Events:
* 4/2 Event Campaign Kick Off for Danielle Gregoire at Fish Restaurant, 7-9 pm Politicians attending include Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, Speaker of the House Robert Dileo and others.
* 6/4 Meeting - Discussion; push June meeting 1 week ahead
Yeas – 7 Nays – 5 Approved
Vote to hold June meeting on 6/11
Yeas – 9 Nays – 2 Abstain – 1 Approved
* 7/2 Meeting – Discussion; vote to have no meeting in July.
Yeas – 12 Approved
* 8/6 Meeting – Discussion; meeting as planned
* 9/3 Meeting – Discussion; meeting as planned
* 9/5 Event Cookout at end of Marlborough Labor Day Parade.
Discussion; where to hold it. Rowe’s Funeral Home lawn possibility. Vote in favor to look into having the cookout at a later date
* 10/2 Event Heritage Days; Info booth?
Discussion; Do we need an electrical hook-up
Leave pending-issue – do we need an electrical hook-up
* 11/5 Meeting Meting as planned
* 11/27 Event Annual Holiday Party & Fundraiser
Discussion; Crane Meadow? Travel
Vote on Crane Meadows
Yeas – 9 Nays – 1 Abstain – 1 Approved